iPhone fixed

Today I have spend half a day on fixing my totally wasted looking first generation iPhone. Have a look at the picture for what remains of the LCD and digitizer I took out. Since it is such a robust device I thought let’s give it a try to repair the heavily damaged glass screen, so I ordered a ‘iPhone 2G Complete Replacement Screen – Includes LCD & Digitizer’ at DirectFix.

Once finished the repair, my iPhone 2g was alive and with a shiny new LCD. Only the bezel is still heavily scratched and remembers me of the accident. It adds some unique industrial look and feel *lol*. The guys at pdaparts who created the tutorial and rated the LCD replacement as very difficult were very right. It took me quite some time to dis- and reassemble.

So, after all I am mobile again..

Thunderbird MIME mixup

Today I decided it was time to introduce my iPhone to the campus wireless network, instead of using the slow GPRS network of my carrier. I’m still a happy user of the first generation iPhone, so I’m stuck with GPRS and that’s why I like WIFI.

So I downloaded the already made VU-iphone.mobileconfig file to my workstation and fired up my favorite MUA, what happens to be Mozilla Thunderbird to mail the configuration as a attachment, just like the way the online manual described. But as soon as I opened up the mail app on the phone the message looked like normal text and there was no attachment to open. I decided to use Mutt as an alternative and repeated the steps described above. This time the attachment showed up as it should be. So I was able to import the wireless configuration and finished the wireless setup.

Now I’m happy being wireless connected but still curious why the attachment send by Thunderbird did not show up correctly in the mobile mail app. So I compared both mail clients MIME behaviour and it appears that Thunderbird is not behaving correctly according to rfc2183. As you can see it uses Content-Disposition type ‘inline’ instead of the correct ‘attachment’ type.

I have stripped the irrelevant header and body information of the message.

Thunderbird:
[code lang=”text”]
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.21 (X11/20090320)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
boundary=”————070008030904000701030203″

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
————–070008030904000701030203
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

————–070008030904000701030203
Content-Type: text/xml;
name=”VU-iphone.mobileconfig”
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline;
filename=”VU-iphone.mobileconfig”

[/code]

Mutt:
[code lang=”text”]
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary=”WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu”
Content-Disposition: inline
User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.18 (2008-05-17)

–WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: inline

–WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=”VU-iphone.mobileconfig”

[/code]

This looks like a bug..

Eduroam on the iPhone at SARA

This is how I configured my iPhone to connect to Eduroam 802.1x at SARA.
Download and install the Apple iPhone Configuration Utility. You can find this utility on the Apple support pages. Download the following certificates SURFnet-PCA-Root-CA and SARA-KA (check the Active Directory Certificate Services server).

Startup your browser after installing the iPhone Configuration Utility and open http://localhost:3000. Login with admin/admin and add some relevant information to the four fields at the General tab.
Next you need to install the two certificates on the Credentials tab. Maybe you need to rename the certificate file name extension to .cer.

Set the following on the Wi-Fi tab:
Service Set Identifier (SSID): eduroam
Security Type: WEP Enterprise

Protocols tab
select as accepted EAP type: PEAP

Authentication tab
username: your KA username
Inner Authentication: MSCHAPv2

Trust tab
Trusted Certificates:

select the two added certificates:
SURFnet-PCA-Root-CA
SARA Kantoorautomatisering

Allow Trust Exceptions: Checked

On the General tab use the ‘Export Profile’ button to export the just created configuration to a file. Sent this file by email to an email account you have configured on your iPhone. Open the email and install the profile and your’re done. You should now have a eduroam connection!

For more information look for the ‘Enterprise_Deployment_Guide.pdf’.